LATEST EDUCATION NEWS | OLDER EDUCATION NEWS
EDUCATION NEWS LINKS
- Apr 11-14, 2013 : NSTA National Conference, San Antonio, TX
- Dec 9-13, 2013 : AGU Fall Conference, San Francisco, CA
- Feb 8-9, 2013 : SpaceUp Houston
- Jan 26, 2013 : Iowa Space Day at the Putnam Museum, Davenport, Iowa
- Jan 11-12, 2013 : Brownsville Space Days
- Dec 2, 2012 : Exploration Station at Fall AGU Conference
- Nov 14, 2012 : Total Solar Eclipse in Australia and the Pacific
- Nov 8-10, 2012 : CAST Meeting, Corpus Christi, TX
- Oct 27, 2012 : Sally Ride Festival at Rice University
- Oct 20, 2012 : Astronomy Day, George Observatory, Brazos Bend State Park
- Oct 12-14, 2012 : ASTC Columbus, Ohio
- Oct 11-13, 2012 : SACNAS Seattle, Washington
- Mar 29 - Apr 1, 2012 : NSTA National, Indianapolis IN
LATEST EDUCATION NEWS
- Feb 8-9, 2013: The third annual SpaceUp Houston was held Friday and Saturday Feb 8-9, at the Lunar and Planetary Institute in Clear Lake, Tx. On the evening of Feb 8, a panel discussion on the future of space was held. On Saturday, SpaceUp held an "unconvention", with sessions discussing various aspects of the future of space. The Discovery Domes were open for the participants (and their families) to learn between sessions.
- Jan 26, 2013: Discovery Dome visited the Putnam museum in Davenport Iowa (www.putnam.org) for a Space Day on January 26. The students from many schools came together for a video hookup with the ISS, after which they explored the museum and the Dome. Travel was supported by our NASA "Future Space" grant; no cost to MMS except handouts.
- Jan 11-12, 2013: The tenth annual Brownsville Space Days was held Friday and Saturday Jan 11 and 12. On the evening of January 11, a family night was held. The talk, given by astronaut Joe Acaba, was "Standing Room Only", with over 470 participants.
- Dec 2, 2012: On December 2, the AGU once again hosted the "exploration station" public education event. This year was better advertised (and much better attended) than previously, with over 850 attendees for the four-hour event. We brought the Discovery Dome and gave away Space Weather DVDs.
- Nov 14, 2012: On November 14, a total solar eclipse happened in Australia and the Pacific. Dr. Reiff was invited to be a science advisor for a group aboard the "Dawn Princess" cruise ship. (At no cost to the MMS project except handouts). She gave a lecture on space weather to 60 participants, and also was interviewed on the eclipse for the shipboard video, seen by all 1850 passengers and 900 crew, and put as part of the ship DVD of the event.
- Nov 8-10, 2012: Discovery Dome paid for a booth at the CAST meeting in Corpus Christi, Texas. MMS helped cover teacher travl and over 750 handouts to educators.
- Oct 27, 2012: On October 27, the sixth annual Sally Ride Festival at Rice University was once again a sellout. It reached 850 middle school girls, plus teachers and parents, for a total of over 1250. The featured speaker was Wendy Lawrence for her second time. She gave an inspiring talk, after the students participated in a street fair with over thirty exhibits. A featured event was an ozone-measuring balloon launch from the University of Houston Downtown.
- Oct 12-14, 2012: Discovery Dome paid for a booth at the Association of Science and Technology Centers meeting in Columbus, Ohio. Over 600 museum educators picked up educational materials, including 500 "Space Weather" CDs.
- Oct 11-13, 2012: MMS again sponsored two undergraduate poster research awards ($500 each) through the SACNAS system.