MMS will use a four-spacecraft suite to study reconnection, the most important process in the Earth's magnetosphere and in astrophysical objects such as solar flares. RICE will be leading the EPO for this mission.
MMS LINKS OF INTEREST
- Magnetospheric Multiscale (MMS) MIssion at GSFC
- MMS-SMART website at SWRI (includes links to fact sheet, proposal, and other information)
- Movie showing how four spacecraft can determine the orientation and motion of a boundary by using a weather analogy
- Movie using actual Cluster data showing how four spacecraft are critical for determining the magnetic field structure of reconnection. The sound is a sonification of the magnetic field data across the boundary.
- Current and Predicted Space Weather Conditions
COMPONENTS OF THE MMS EPO PROGRAM INCLUDE
- Magnetospheric Multiscale Education & Outreach at GSFC
- The Rice University Master Of Science Teaching Program is a content-based, non-thesis, advanced degree primarily directed towards inservice middle school, IPC (Integrated Physics and Chemistry), Physics, or Astronomy high school teachers and other Education and Public Outreach (EPO) professionals. Apply now
- YES (Young Engineers and Scientists) workshop at SWRI in San Antonio
- SMART workshops for students at the University of New Hampshire
- Space Camp for the Blind, sponsored by the Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired. We will be creating data sonifications for the blind, with a sample kiosk this year
- MMS is a major sponsor since 2006 of the Sally Ride Science Festival at Rice University.
- Heliophysics Educator Ambassador Program