MMS is using a four-spacecraft suite to study magnetic reconnection, the most important process in the Earth's magnetosphere and in astrophysical objects such as solar flares. Rice University is leading the E/PO for this mission.
MMS LINKS OF INTEREST
- NASA MMS Mission site
- Magnetospheric Multiscale (MMS) MIssion at GSFC
- MMS-SMART website at SWRI (includes links to fact sheet, proposal, and other information)
- MMS Flickr page
- Movie showing how four spacecraft can determine the orientation and motion of a boundary by using a weather analogy
- Movie using actual Cluster data showing how four spacecraft are critical for determining the magnetic field structure of reconnection. The sound is a sonification of the magnetic field data across the boundary.
- Current and Predicted Space Weather Conditions
- "One Stop Shopping" for NASA Interns around the country - Recruiting NASA Interns, Fellows and Scholars
- NASA Wavelength - a full spectrum of NASA resources for Earth and Space Science Education
- Education Resources - Lesson Plans, Interviews and Models from GSFC
- Launch Party Kit - Plan your own launch party with these resources from GSFC
- Promotional Materials - Posters and decals from GSFC
COMPONENTS OF THE MMS EPO PROGRAM INCLUDE
- Magnetospheric Multiscale Education & Outreach at GSFC
- The Rice University Master Of Science Teaching Program is a content-based, non-thesis, advanced degree primarily directed towards inservice middle school, IPC (Integrated Physics and Chemistry), Physics, or Astronomy high school teachers and other Education and Public Outreach (EPO) professionals. Apply now
- YES (Young Engineers and Scientists) workshop at SWRI in San Antonio
- SMART workshops for students at the University of New Hampshire
- Space Camp for the Blind, sponsored by the Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired. We will be creating data sonifications for the blind, with a sample kiosk this year
- MMS is a major sponsor since 2006 of the Sally Ride Science Festival at Rice University.
- Heliophysics Educator Ambassador Program